Hundreds of artists. Dozens of exhibits. One great city. Planning is officially underway for Open Doors Citywide Arts Festival 2016, the Newark Arts Council’s signature celebration of the arts, taking place from October 19-23, 2016. Over four inspiring days, Newark’s bustling arts scene will explode with an awe-inspiring array of exhibits, screenings, workshops, artist talks, performances, readings, open houses and so much more! Over forty venues will join forces to showcase visual, performing, and literary art under the Open Doors umbrella, as we celebrate Newark’s unique and diverse contributions to the arts and the American fabric.
Now in its 15th year, Open Doors remains committed to its mission: to act as a catalyst for artistic discovery by galvanizing every gallery, art studio and artist in the city to collaborate in order to demonstrate the transformative power of the arts. New Jersey’s largest city looks forward to welcoming thousands of residents and visitors to this citywide arts tour and community event. What’s more? This year, the festival will run concurrently with both the Dodge Poetry Festival and Newark Celebration 350, which marks the city’s 350th birthday. It’s sure to be an October art extravaganza!
That being said, the success of the Open Doors Citywide Arts Festival depends on the active participation of artistic stakeholders both in and outside of Newark. We welcome submissions from differently-abled artists. That means you! We are very excited to invite all interested parties to participate in Open Doors via five open calls, which are active now through August 1st, 2016.
- Call for Artist Opportunity – This call is for individual artists, both in and outside of Newark, who want to be considered for exhibition and other opportunities during Open Doors. Opportunities for individual artists include access to temporary space in which to individually showcase their work art fair/project style, as well as having their artwork shared with curators.
- Call for Established Galleries – This call is for established/full time Newark galleries and museums that wish to list their Open Doors exhibitions, opening receptions and events, for inclusion and promotion on our official tour and calendar of events.
- Call For Special Projects – This call is for people who want to create pop-up exhibits, either in spaces they already have access to, or in spaces that they are granted access to by working with the Newark Arts Council. Proposals can be from both Newark-affiliated culture workers and culture workers from other areas.
- Call For Open Studios – This call is for artists who have work studios in Newark and will have them open on Sunday, October 23rd, 2016 from 11 am to 4 pm. We would like to list and promote your studio on our official open studio tour and calendar of events.
- Call For Events and Event Proposals – This call is for galleries and individuals to list and/or propose public programs and events taking place during Open Doors. Events can be, but are not limited to, screenings, workshops, talk-backs, performances, readings, concerts, happenings, etc.
This year, the Newark Arts Council has contracted with Gallery Aferro to produce Open Doors. Feel free to contact Evonne Davis at email@example.com or 862-234-5782 with any questions or concerns. Make sure to submit by August 1st and we look forward to your participation in the very best Open Doors yet!