- This event has passed.
A THIRD SPACE: The Arts, Community, Rutgers-Newark and Change – a public forum
March 29, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Express Newark, a University Community Collaboratory largely predicated upon the arts and media programs at Rutgers-Newark engaging with both specific local partners and the broader Newark community, is due to open in less than 12 months.
Express Newark is conceived as a relationship of equals, a program that supports cross-unit, cross-sector,
cross-institutional, publicly engaged scholarship
collaborating with Newark artists, schools and institutions
to cultivate new talent and reconceived as a “Third Space” offering a genesis for change. As Chancellor Nancy Cantor asserts Express Newark can “play a pivotal role as a ‘third space,’ where the university and community come together to advance scholarship, strengthen our community, and build the momentum behind Newark’s renaissance.”
In taking up this challenge, A Third Space: The Arts, Community, Rutgers-Newark and Change is a public forum consisting of international, national, Rutgers-Newark, and local experts addressing how the arts can contribute to the social, intellectual and civic character of communities in general and the greater Newark region specifically for the benefit of both residents and the university community.
· Krzysztof Czyżewski – Director, The Borderland Center (an international NGO based in Poland that focuses on using arts as a tool of social justice) and Rutgers-Newark Urban Civic Initiative Visiting Professor of Practice in the Department of Arts, Culture and Media.
· Jan Cohen Cruz – Professor at Syracuse University, author, artist, scholar, and former Director of Imagining America
· Wayne Winborne – Executive Director, Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers-University
· Victor Davson – Co-Chair, Express Newark and Executive Director, Aljira, a Center for Contemporary Art
· Rodney Gilbert – Rutgers-Newark Department of Arts, Culture and Media, Adjunct Professor, Drew University, Adjunct Professor of Theater and Founder and CEO of Yendor Productions
· Anne Schaper Englot – Co-Chair, Express Newark and Rutgers-Newark Department of Arts, Culture and Media, Professor of Architecture and Humanities
Moderator: Ian Watson – Rutgers-Newark/Chair, Department of Arts, Culture and Media
This Program is sponsored by:
The Urban Civic Initiative, Department of Arts, Culture and Media; Aljira, a Center for Contemporary Art,
The Institute of Jazz Studies and The Clement A. Price Institute on Ethnicity, Culture and the Modern Experience and Newark Celebration 350.