*Due to recent Facebook API changes our calendar is currently unable to import events from Facebook Pages. Please submit all events directly to our calendar using ADD YOUR OWN EVENT.
Explore personal and artistic freedom in black history across our collection and through various forms of creative self-expression done free(dom) style.
• Contribute to a freestyle rap in a master class led by hip-hop pioneers, Roxanne Shante and Kool Kyle the Original Starchild.
• Enjoy in-gallery pop-up freestyle performances with vocal beat expressionist, D-Cross and jazz trumpeter, Lee Hogans.
• Learn the art of freestyle dancing through various moves originating from black culture from the Harlem Renaissance era—depicted in our collection—to hip-hop. Led by The Evolution of Hip-Hop.
• Scratch it up on the 1s and 2s with DJ Sienna Chanel and Nobi De Lon of De Lon De Luxe, as you learn how to freestyle it like a true DJ. Plus, contribute to a freestyle mixtape project inspired by Barbara Chase-Riboud’s Malcolm X #2. Led by Newark Radio Co-Op.
• Engage in freestyle artmaking projects referencing our collection.
• Drop-by the Cool Cat pop-up station to learn about free programs for Newark preschoolers.
Second Sundays is a series for all ages and takes place each month from October through June. Programs are designed to showcase the Museum’s special exhibitions and permanent collections and enhance the gallery experience.
Second Sundays presented by: Horizon Foundation for New Jersey. Additional support from United.
If you are an arts organization and would like our calendar to pull events automatically from your Facebook Page Events Feed, or have any other questions, please email email@example.com