OPPORTUNITIES FOR ARTISTS AND CREATIVES
See and submit opportunities for for artists
Aging and the Lived Experiences of Transgender and Gender Nonconforming (t/gnc) – Older Adults: Narratives Through Art
Category: Open Calls Deadline: 12/02/2022 Website: https://www.monmouth.edu/mca/aging-and-the-lived-experiences-of-transgender-and-gender-nonconforming-t-gnc-call-for-entries/
As told in their own voices through art and film this exhibit seeks to share some of the diverse lived experiences of transgender and gender non-conforming older adults (T/GNC) in the United States and throughout the world. The exhibit centers T/GNC individuals’ unique narratives and make their lives visible. We hope that this program provides a path to unite a wide audience in a shared experience.
The artwork chosen celebrates the strength and resiliency of these individuals while also sharing the painful challenges encountered. The process of living authentically may instill hope and bring joy, but often this process involves losses and pain as well. The purpose is to increase understanding and knowledge of the lives of T/GNC older adults while supporting Monmouth University’s commitment to create an inclusive, affirming, and equitable campus community.
Call to artists/filmmakers:
Monmouth University’s Center for the Arts is seeking artists and filmmakers aged fifty and older who identify as transgender, gender nonconforming, gender expansive, gender non-binary or additional gender identity beyond the binary for a juried show that will take place January 23 – March 10 in the Pollak Gallery & Theatre. The artwork can be any medium (e.g., photograph, painting, self-portrait, collage, sculpture, three-dimensional art, film, etc.) but should not have been exhibited or shown at the Pollak Gallery or Pollak Theater in the past.
Piece(s) submitted should represent for you aspects of your life as a T/GNC individual. The art may reflect your journey (emotional, psychological, and/or physical) to live your authentic self and/or may represent other experiences you have had related to your gender identity. A short narrative should accompany any artwork you submit and include your reflections on the experiences of living as a T/GNC individual.
Films submitted should be related to the lives of T/GNC older adults. If accepted, the film will be shown at the Pollak Theatre at least once during the dates of the exhibit at the Pollak Gallery.
Please note that we are seeking artwork from around the country and around the globe to be inclusive and represent diverse lives and experiences. This will be a factor when selecting possible artwork for the exhibit.
- Applicants must be aged fifty and older who identify as transgender, gender nonconforming, gender expansive, gender non-binary or additional gender identity beyond the binary
- Submissions must be entered through CAFE (https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=10629) and should include: artist narrative, images/media of each piece, artist bio and entry fee.
- Entry fee is $30 for up to 3 artworks/films
- Each artist may submit up to 3 artworks/films
- A short narrative should accompany any artwork you submit and include your reflections on the experiences of living as a T/GNC individual.
- Mediums accepted include: photograph, painting, drawing, mixed media, collage, sculpture, three-dimensional art, or film.
- Shipping/drop-off of accepted work to Monmouth University is the responsibility of artist
- Only artwork of professional presentation will be accepted.
- Wall-hung items must be appropriately framed and/or edges adequately finished and must use sturdy wire as the hanging medium. No saw-tooth hangers or metal eyelets accepted. Frames must be free of defects.
- Three-dimensional works must be stable to stand on their own or be submitted with adequate display stands.
- Three-dimensional artwork cannot exceed 5′ h x 3′ w and not weigh more than 75 pounds.
The call for entries closes at midnight on December 2, 2022. Participants will be notified by December 16, 2022. The show will run in Monmouth University’s Pollak Gallery from January 23– March 10. For more information or questions please contact Kelly Barratt at 732.263.5114 or email email@example.com
Call for Entries Deadline: DECEMBER 2, 2022
Contact: Kelly Barratt