OPPORTUNITIES FOR ARTISTS AND CREATIVES
See and submit opportunities for for artists
Category: Open Calls Deadline: 12/15/2022 Website: https://repertorio.nyc/#/voceslatinx-submit
THE MIRANDA FAMILY 'VOCES LATINX' NATIONAL PLAYWRITING COMPETITION
This new playwriting initiative continues the ideals of our original competition, to develop and promote Latinx plays and playwrights. By doing so we are championing a distinctively American narrative that is slowly gaining traction with “mainstream” theatres across the country but still lagging woefully behind.
The Latinx/Hispanic Community represents many nations and every corner of the United States. By the mid-21st Century, 1 in 3 people will identify as having raíces Latinx (Latin roots) we have journeys and histories that need to be heard and experienced on stage.
To that end, this competition and our theatre will prepare the way for an American Theatre that is reflective and representative of the Pan Latinx Community.
- Playwrights may be Latinx or of any other ethnic or racial background as long as the play’s subject matter and characters resonate with and accurately depicts the Latinx/Hispanic experience.
- No screenplays, one act plays, adaptations or translations will be accepted.
- New and un-produced plays preferred. Plays that have had readings or a workshop production are acceptable.
- All plays must be original and full-length (minimum running time: 75 minutes) and can be written in Spanish and/or English.
- Playwrights must be at least 18 years of age and residents of the United States or Puerto Rico.
ABOUT THE MIRANDA FAMILY
For over 40 years, the Miranda Family has championed community activism. They have created and supported institutions that have served underserved populations throughout New York City, across the country, and in Puerto Rico. They continue to foster the family’s commitment to advocacy for education, the arts, and social justice - along with a sustained focus on relief and rebuilding efforts in Puerto Rico post-Hurricane Maria.
Contact: Repertorio Español